History of the School
The majestic red brick buildings, seamlessly standing beside newer additions, house not only an ‘outstanding’ educational institute but an enviable history of achievement and excellence.
In 2008 Ranelagh School celebrated 100 years on its Bracknell site with a plethora of events and activities.
January set the scene for the busy year with the opening of the Centenary building, built specifically to offer state-of-the-art arts and technology for its pupils.
To mark the 100 years on site, Ranelagh pupils and staff participated in a commemorative sponsored walk from the original site at Cranbourne Hall, Winkfield, to its present location. The walk raised £10,000 to support link schools in Africa.
|1709||The first Earl of Ranelagh, Richard Jones, founded the school for 20 boys and 20 girls at Cranbourne Hall in Winkfield. The first master was Vicar of Winkfield, William Waterson, who ran the school for 50 years.|
|1759||John Boyce took over the school. His son, George, later took to the helm until 1824.|
|1880||Having reached a capacity of 100 pupils, Cranbourne School was closed and the school expanded to a site in Lovel Road, Winkfield. It then became known as Cranbourne Ranelagh School.|
|1908||Some proceeds from the sale of Cranbourne Hall were used to establish a grammar school in Bracknell. Ranelagh School opened on its current site on September 21. There were four full-time teachers including the first headmaster, Ernest Cleave.|
|1944||The school became a Church of England voluntary aided grammar school following that year’s Education Act.|
|1945||By the outbreak of World War II, there were 100 pupils and eight full-time teachers including the second headmaster, James Bury. An additional playing field was purchased in Larges Lane. During the war there were at one time, three schools sharing the building.|
|1955-1981||During these periods, extensions were made to the buildings.|
|1981||The school began to develop as a comprehensive rather than a grammar.|
|1993-1998||During this time, the school was upgraded with additional classrooms, a sixth form centre, a business centre, music block, a superb sports hall and an arts and design centre.|
|1999||Awarded Beacon School status.|
|2006||The school received a Grade 1 ‘outstanding’ report from Ofsted.|
|2008||Ranelagh School celebrates 100 years on its current site.|
|2009||Headteacher appointed as National Leader of Education and Ranelagh becomes National Support School.|
|2009||Ranelagh School celebrates 300 years since its foundation.|
|2009||The school received a Grade 1 ‘outstanding’ report from Ofsted.|
|2010||School gains High Performing Specialist School status.|
|2011||Ranelagh becomes a Church of England Academy.|
|2014||The school received an ‘outstanding’ report from SIAMS.|
|2015||New Headteacher appointed|
|2015||The school received an ‘outstanding’ report from Ofsted.|
|2017||Ranelagh School forms The Bonitas Trust|